27.14.010 Relocation assistance.
27.14.020 Conditions for relocation assistance.
27.14.030 Application for development.
27.14.060 Making of payments.
27.14.070 Eligible tenants.
27.14.010 RELOCATION ASSISTANCE. The following requirement for relocation assistance payments shall be applied to applicants within the downtown redevelopment project area:
(1) Relocation assistance payments shall be made to low and moderate income households within the downtown redevelopment project area who are displaced after having received a notice to vacate or a rent increase rendering their unit not affordable, such notice or increase being within 90 days of the filing of an application to proceed with (a) the demolition of residential units, (b) the rehabilitation of residential units when such rehabilitation exceeds 25% of the market value of the unit as determined by the building official, (c) the conversion of residential units into non-residential units, or (d) the conversion of rental units into owner occupied units.
(2) Relocation assistance payments shall be made to low and moderate income households within the downtown redevelopment project area who are displaced after having received a notice to vacate or a rent increase rendering their unit not affordable, such notice or increase being subsequent to the filing of an application to proceed with the activities listed as (a)-(d) above; provided, however, that such displacement occurs within one year of completion of the development for which the application is filed. (Ord. 1985-28 § 1 (part), 1985.)
27.14.020 CONDITIONS FOR RELOCATION ASSISTANCE. (1) The relocation assistance payments set forth in Section 27.14.010 shall be subject to the following terms and conditions:
(a) The eligibility requirements set forth in government code sections 7260 et seq. for "displaced persons", including such regulations for eligibility adopted pursuant to said section, shall be applicable to households seeking relocation assistance payments.
(b) The total relocation assistance payment shall be the equivalent of 3 months rent being paid by the displaced household immediately prior to displacement.
(c) No household or persons who comprise or comprised that household shall receive relocation payments more than once in every 2 years and in no event more than twice during the life of the redevelopment project. To be eligible a household or persons must be in lawful possession of an affordable residential unit at the time that said unit is rendered unaffordable by an activity designated in section 27.14.010(1)(a)-(d) or at the time that a notice to vacate is received in order to proceed with an activity designated in section 27.14.010(1)(a)-(d).
(d) Not more than one relocation payment during the life of the redevelopment project shall be made for each residential unit regardless of the number of times that displacement occurs from such individual unit.
(e) Complaints may be brought by persons of low or moderate income households who have been denied relocation assistance payments to the Community Improvement Commission by filing a written complaint not later than 18 months after displacement or the claim is forfeited. (Ord. 1995-22 § 1 (part), 1995; Ord. 1985-28 § 1 (part), 1985.)
27.14.030 APPLICATION FOR DEVELOPMENT. At the time of application for a permit to proceed with an activity listed in 27.14.010(1)(a)-(d) applicant shall submit a certified list of his residential tenants along with the monthly rent being paid for each respective residential unit. Applicant shall also specify any rental changes that were implemented within 90 days prior to the date of application. (Ord. 1985-28 § 1 (part), 1985.)
27.14.040 NOTICE. City shall send notice to each residential tenant. Said notice shall indicate that an application has been filed and that relocation benefits may be available. (Ord. 1985-28 § 1 (part), 1985.)
27.14.050 SECURITY. No permit shall be issued until the applicant posts security to assure that relocation assistance payments will be made. Said security shall be a performance bond, letter of credit, certificate of deposit, or the like in an amount equal to the total relocation assistance payments anticipated. Applicant may apply for a total or partial release of said security when payments have been made to at least 50% of eligible tenants. (Ord. 1985-28 § 1 (part), 1985.)
27.14.060 MAKING OF PAYMENTS. Payments required by this chapter shall be made by the applicant. Payments may be a condition of permit approval. (Ord. 1985-28 § 1 (part), 1985.)
27.14.070 ELIGIBLE TENANTS. City, acting through its department of community development, housing and economic development division, may investigate the eligibility of particular tenants for relocation assistance. (Ord. 1985-28 § 1 (part), 1985.)
27.14.080 DEFINITIONS. (a) The following definitions apply to this section:
(1) "Low and moderate income households" shall be defined as set forth in health and safety code sections 50093 and 50l05 or such successor sections.
(2) "Affordable" shall be defined as set forth in health and safety codes sections 50052.5 and 50053 or such successor sections.
(3) "Life of the Redevelopment Project" shall mean through July 7, 20ll, or such earlier date if the project is sooner terminated.
(4) "Applicant" shall mean any person, entity, corporation, partnership, or otherwise, but shall not include the city of San Mateo and the San Mateo redevelopment agency and other governmental entities.
(5) "Application" shall include planning, subdivision, and building applications where the context is appropriate; provided, however, that the requirement to provide relocation assistance payments shall attach to the first of such required applications. (Ord. 1985-28 § 1 (part), 1985.)